April 30, 2021 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Meet the world within Hazelwood
5th Annual Multicultural Festival
INFORMATION FOR BOOTH HOSTS
The annual Hazelwood Multicultural Festival is a unique opportunity for our families to proudly share their cultural experiences, for our community to learn more about our friends, and to have lots of fun! The pavilion of booths hosted by Hazelwood families and friends is one of the most rewarding parts of our Festival. Thank you for volunteering to help make this event special!
Each year the Festival welcomes approximately 200 – 300 students and their families. Each child receives a passport which they fill with stamps as they visit the booths. Stamps and ink pads are provided by PTSA. In addition to the pavilion of booths, guests will enjoy art/crafts activities, food samples, and live entertainment. Everything is provided free to the community, compliments of PTSA and our volunteers.
Booths are a big hit with guests and vary widely. Your audience is school-age kids and their families. They’re excited and curious, so expect whatever you bring to be touched. Each host family should arrange their booth in the way that works the best for what they have, what they’ll be doing, and how they wish to interact with guests. Here are some ideas from past booths:
- memorabilia, traditional/common dress, arts/crafts, tools, music CDs, musical instruments, games, toys, books, flags, scrapbooks, household items, money, sample schoolwork, etc.
- A note about food: we know that food is a big part of culture. Unfortunately, because booths are in the gym, the school has asked that we avoid sticky, wet, messy foods to protect the carpet. You’re welcome to give out small packaged items, such as candies (no gum though). PTSA provides food samples outside for guests, so you’re not expected to bring any food. Renton Technical College caters the event, paid for by PTSA.
- photos, interesting facts/trivia, artwork, maps, videos on a laptop, etc. The gym is enabled with free guest wifi. PTSA has blank display posterboards in white and colors – just ask!
- simple art/craft, such as Hawaiian banana leaf braids, flag coloring sheets
- try on clothing, play a game, count money, answer trivia question, writing name
- demonstration, such as traditional Ethiopian coffee service, easy Tai Chi moves
- PTSA will supply a cafeteria table, covered by plastic tablecloth(s) in your choice of color(s). We’ll also provide a sign to mark your booth. We are not providing the canopy tents this year, but please feel free to bring your own.
- Booths will have a wall at the back which might be suitable for hanging things for decoration or display. The Hazelwood gym walls vary – some have padding, some have loosely-hanging cloth, and some are concrete. PTSA will make sure to have a variety of appropriate adhesives available to you.
- Doors open promptly at 6:30pm. Please be set up and ready to go by 6:15pm. General event setup begins at 3:30pm. You are welcome to come any time after then to set up your booth. PTSA setup volunteers will be available should you need an extra hand.
- PTSA is happy to support you with any special supplies you might need and can provide a volunteer helper during the event if you’d like. Let us know ASAP if you need any of these:
- volunteer helper during the event
- access to an electrical outlet
- power strips and/or extension cords
- art supplies (i.e. crayons, markers, paper, etc.)
- photocopies of handouts
- more than one cafeteria table
- anything else that comes up
PTSA is very excited about the event – generous volunteers like you make it all that more memorable! We’re here to help – so please don’t hesitate to email, call or text. We’re here to help you bring your vision to life because it’s all of you that make this event so special!