Approved at General Membership Meeting, September 14, 2017
- These Standing Rules shall not be in conflict with the current bylaws of the National PTA
or Washington State PTA.
- The legal name of this PTSA local unit is Hazelwood Elementary PTA 9.11.30. It was
chartered by the Washington State PTA in October, 1963.
- This PTSA serves the children in the Hazelwood School and community.
- This PTSA is registered with the Secretary of State under the Charitable Solicitations Act.
The Treasurer is responsible for filing the charitable solicitation renewal prior to May 31 st .
- This PTSA was incorporated on March 15, 1974. It was assigned corporation number 2-
236560-5. The Treasurer is responsible for filing the annual corporation report with the
Secretary of State and renewing the business license prior to March 31 st . The registered
agent for this PTSA is the Washington State PTA.
- This PTSA was granted tax-exempt status under section 501(c)3 on February 2, 1993.
The Treasurer is responsible for filing the IRS required tax return before November 15 th .
An extension filing is only allowed by a vote of the Executive Committee.
- The current Treasurer is responsible for timely filing of regulatory reports.
- The elected officers (Executive Team) of this PTSA shall be President, Vice President(s),
Secretary and Treasurer.
- Any elected position may be held jointly by two (2) or more people. Each co-position
holder shall be entitled to voice and vote at Executive Team meetings.
- The Board of Directors of this PTSA shall consist of the Executive Team and the
Chairperson(s) of all standing committees. Not all of the committees may be functioning in
any given year due to a chair vacancy or the event itself not being scheduled.
- The member service fees of this PTSA shall be $15.00 per person or $25.00 for two persons. All members of the Board of Directors must be current members of Hazelwood PTSA.
- This PTSA will utilize the Standards of Affiliation Agreement Checklist to help navigate legal requirements as encouraged by the Washington State PTA (WSPTA).
- This PTSA will ensure that all members of the Executive Team attend a minimum of one WSPTA-approved training opportunity during the PTA year. Further, at least one member of the Executive Team will attend PTA and the Law during the PTA year.
- General Membership meetings of this unit shall be held to approve the Standing Rules, elect a Nominating Committee, elect officers, and approve the following year’s operating budget, and will be held at the discretion of the Executive Team. There shall be at least one (1) general meeting during the school year. Quorum for the General Membership meetings shall be 10.
- An operating budget for the following academic year shall be passed and approved by the General Membership prior to May 31st of the prior academic year. Budget changes are acceptable via discussion and vote of the Board of Directors, as needed throughout the year.
- All contracts must be signed by two members of the Executive Team.
- The date(s) of the Executive Team and/or Board of Directors meetings of this unit shall be determined each year by the new Executive Team.
- Quorum for the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors meetings shall be the majority of its members.
- This PTSA shall keep a permanent copy of each of its legal documents in two or more separate locations. The PTSA office shall maintain the original copies, in a locked file cabinet maintained by the Secretary and Treasurer. The Secretary and Treasurer will maintain the duplicate copies of the legal documents pertinent to their duties. Treasurer reports and secretarial minutes will also be kept in the file cabinet. Minutes must be maintained indefinitely, but treasurer annual reports can be discarded after 10 years. All other document retention schedules shall conform to what is published in the WSPTA Money Matters handbook.
- This PTSA may choose to conduct a half-year internal audit of its books and records in January of each year in addition to the required full internal audit for the close of the fiscal year (June 30th). The Audit Committee shall be comprised of three (3) members chosen by the President who were not signers on the bank account for the period being audited. Records shall be submitted for review no later than 30 days after the end of the fiscal year.
- The signatures of at least three (3) officers shall be on the authorization signature card for this PTSA’s bank account, with two (2) signatures being required on each check. The bank statement must be reviewed and signed by a member of the Executive Team other than the Treasurer and without signing authority. It should be kept on file with the monthly financial statements.
- All reimbursement requests for authorized expenses must include a receipt and must be submitted to the Treasurer within 60 days of purchase. No checks may be written for cash, and no funds may be advanced to persons ahead of time with the anticipation that they provide a receipt at a later date.
- The students of Hazelwood Elementary School shall be considered honorary members of this PTSA, but without voting privileges or the ability to hold office.
- The Golden Acorn Award, the Outstanding Advocate Award, and the Outstanding Educator Award shall be presented annually to an outstanding volunteer(s). The committee chair shall be appointed by the President.
- Voting delegates to the Renton PTA Council shall be any current PTSA member who attends a Council meeting where voting is required.
- The vote of this PTSA for the position of Washington State PTA Region Director shall be determined by the Board of Directors.
- This PTSA shall carry forward at least $25,000, but no more than half the operating budget as its operating expense reserve to start the following fiscal year. In the event that a fundraiser is held every other year, one half of the net proceeds from that fundraiser may also be carried forward to the following fiscal year when no similar fundraiser is planned.
- All Committee Chairpersons must present proposed changes (if any) to their individual committee budget plan for the upcoming year to the Executive Team by October 1st. Then going forward, any line item committee requests for money greater than $50.00 over their presented budget will require voting by the Executive Team, or can be handled through the grant process.
- Funds deemed by the Board of Directors to be excess budget funds will be spent via a grant process. At the discretion of the Executive Team, a Grant Committee may be convened and will be elected by a vote of General Membership. Requests will be sent out to PTSA members and Hazelwood staff for proposals on how best to spend the excess funds. The Grant Committee will vote on these proposals and submit their recommendations for final approval from Executive Team.